6 digit decimal stock purchase

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Wed Aug 12 18:24:12 EDT 2015

> On Aug 12, 2015, at 3:32 PM, Michael Carpino <mfcarpino at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi John,
>
> First thanks for helping me work through this issue as I am new to GnuCash (a week).  I've previously used Quicken and I'm trying to convert to GC.
>
> I'm not using a cash account to input these shares.  The reason for this is they are preexisting transactions (before GnuCash).  What I am doing is entering the transaction in Equity:Opening Balance and using the share Account of Assets;Investments;Wells Fargo;Ameriprise .
>
> I am also entering transaction for reinvested dividends using Assets;Investments;Wells Fargo;Ameriprise, Income;Dividends, and Expenses;Commissions.

Michael,

OK, for this purpose the Income:Dividends account qualifies as a cash account. We can call it a currency account if you like that better. The main thing is that when you create the transaction in a stock or fund account the price calculation uses one code path and when you do it from a currency (i.e. bank, asset, credit card, liability, income, or expense) account the price calculation exercises a different code path involving a dialog box called the transfer dialog. You’ve already exercised the first code path, I’m asking that you exercise the second.

Regards,
John Ralls