Diffing two account files

Plutocrat plutocrat at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 01:33:02 EDT 2015

AC wrote on Thursday, 13 August, 2015 11:32 AM:
> Is it possible to generate some kind of difference output between a data
> file and one of its backups?  I'm trying to find an entry error and it
> would be ideal if I could make a diff.

If you're not saving to an SQL database backend, then the files are in XML format, either plain or gzipped. So yes, xml can be diffed.

If you're on Windows, grab a COPY of the files you need, and try changing their extensions to .txt or .gz. There is a free compression utility called 7zip which will handle the unzipping if you need.

If you're on Mac or Linux the 'file' command will let you see if you're dealing with plain XML or gziped files. Their native compression utils will allow you to extract the contents if they are gzipped.

P.