Diffing two account files

Mike or Penny Novack mpnovack at mtdata.com
Thu Aug 13 15:01:25 EDT 2015

> GnuCash can't do that, but if you're using an XML format file to save
> your GnuCash data, it's just text file.  I sometimes use a text file
> compare program to find out what changed between two versions.  The
> file may be big, so whatever program you use needs to be able to diff
> large files.  I usually use BBEdit, but it's a Mac program and not
> free so may not be of any use to you.
  The file format doesn't matter, a byte by byte compare program can
compare any. I used to use ones with hex output, but then I was usually
comparing files of mixed data content.

Such general purpose compares are "utilities", not properly part of any
particular application (one where the difference output was being
formatted, might be part of an application).

If you are using a 'nix operating system, your shell language plus
library of 'nix utilities can do the job. If you are Mac user, well have
you ever used the command line? (under the hood, a form of BSD unix)

Michael D Novack