How to handle a "fudge" transaction properly?

Henry Law news at lawshouse.org
Thu Aug 20 10:04:43 EDT 2015

I found some previous list discussions on how to find errors and where
they came from, but none of them discussed what you do when you have one
and are content to leave it.  I hope someone can help ...

I migrated my accounts from MS Money a while back and everything was
fine.  Then about four months ago something strange happened and the
amounts were off.  After trying to find the problem (yes, I do know a
wide range of strategies for doing that) I finally gave up and entered a
"fudge" transaction, for the princely sum of 45p (something like 30
cents); to really find the error would probably mean my going back
through hundreds of entries and for that amount it simply isn't worth it.

But of course I've now got an untidy situation: that 45p transaction
can't ever be reconciled: horrible!  What is the best way of handling this?

Specifically, if I "closed the books" at the end of the tax year (5th
April in the UK) would that transaction get left behind somehow?
Something tells me not.

[GnuCash 2.6.1, built Feb 19 2014, running under Mint.]

--

Henry Law            Manchester, England