Multi Devices

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 04:00:08 EDT 2015

On 20 August 2015 at 15:53, Vernon <vburditt at gmail.com> wrote:
> I want to enable the use of Gnucash on at least three devices. Office PC,
> Home PC and Laptop. During the download I choose to have the files placed in
> my dropbox thinking that would work. But so far have not been able to access
> files on my home PC. I created the account on my Office PC. What did I do
> wrong?

I am confused by your use of the words " During the download I choose
to have the files placed in
> my dropbox".  Do you mean while downloading the gnucash setup file?  If so then that is not the way to do it.  Download gnucash on each machine and install it separately on each machine.  Then on one machine use File > Save As and browse to your shared Dropbox folder and save the accounts file there.  Then, if you have installed and setup Dropbox appropriately (and assuming you have followed advise here to check that Dropbox itself is working correctly for you) you should be able to run gnucash on one of the other machines and use File > Open, browse to the Dropbox folder, and open the accounts file from there.

Also note the advice in another post that while using Dropbox is
generally ok you should make sure that you do not have gnucash open on
two machines at the same time as the lock file strategy is not
completely trustworthy when using dropbox.

Colin