gnucash: Any Gotchas Using Postgres RDBMS?

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Fri Aug 21 05:39:32 EDT 2015

On Friday 21 August 2015 09:56:38 John Ralls wrote:
> > On Aug 21, 2015, at 3:19 AM, Charles Sliger <chaz at bctonline.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > Does GnuCash seem to play well with Postgres?
> > Are any special libraries required?
>
> There’s been a little traffic on this list over the years indicating
> that a few people are using it, so it would appear that there aren’t
> any major problems. More feedback would certainly be appreciated.
>
> Note well that we can’t offer much support for administering a
> Postgresql database, so if you’re not an experienced DBA you’ll need
> to find other places to help you with that part.
>
> In addition to having a running Postgresql server you’ll need the
> client libraries and libdbd-pgsql installed along with GnuCash on
> every system that will access the database.
>
> Note as well that GnuCash does not support multiple simultaneous users
> in a database because it doesn’t reload data from the DB after the
> initial load and doesn’t use any of the database’s concurrency
> features.
>
> Regards,
> John Ralls

One more gotcha: gnucash doesn't support Postgresql's schema. The
gnucash db will always be created in the default (public) schema and any
other schemas still in the db will be destroyed. In other words, gnucash
claims the full db to itself. Don't attempt to add additional schemas or
tables in the same database.

This complete overwrite happens whenever you do a "save as" to the
postgresql database or whenever there's a change in the table structures
used by gnucash (which can happen at every gnucash update).

Regards,

Geert