RESOLVED error after upgrading to ubuntu 15.04

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Mon Aug 31 10:23:16 EDT 2015

> On Aug 31, 2015, at 12:18 AM, Colin Law <clanlaw at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 30 August 2015 at 23:10, ssc1478 <ssc1478 at aim.com> wrote:
>> Sorry, here is the details you asked for:
>>
>>> apt-cache policy gnucash
>>
>> phil at remus:~$ apt-cache policy gnucash
>> gnucash:
>>  Installed: 1:2.6.4-3ubuntu1
>>  Candidate: 1:2.6.4-3ubuntu1
>>  Version table:
>> *** 1:2.6.4-3ubuntu1 0
>>        500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ vivid/universe i386 Packages
>>        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>>

>>> which gnucash
>>
>> gnucash 2.6.4 built from rev 79bdcf1+ on 2015-04-06.
>
> I meant you to run the command
> which gnucash
> in order to check that you are running the one in /usr/bin but I don't
> think it is necessary as it seems you are running the right one.
>
> Any comment from a dev as to why it should be necessary to delete the
> guile cache on systems but not others?

The Guile developers chose a rather naive way to decide if the cache is stale: If it’s newer than the source file then it’s OK. That means that if GnuCash version X is run for the first time on a particular machine after the date that a Scheme file is changed in git (which date is preserved in the tarball) then Guile won’t recognize the new file and will continue to use the cached compilation with predictable results.

Regards,
John Ralls