OFX Bayesian import not working for me

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Tue Dec 1 23:00:34 EST 2015

> On Dec 1, 2015, at 5:35 PM, Eliot Rosenbloom <eliot at ejr.me> wrote:
>
> Ok, I think I understand now:  If GC identifies a single key-word ("token") in the transaction's description, then it assigns the Amount to the account with the highest "score."  If the transaction has more than one token, then GC totals the scores for each account (across all the relevant tokens) and, again, assigns the Amount to the account with the highest (total) score.
>
> I did choose to delete the whole import-match-bayes slot for each relevant account, and it seems to be working fine!  I'm VERY appreciative!
>
> Does anyone know if GC looks for tokens only in the Description / <NAME> field, or does it also examine the Memo field?  My credit union often fills the Description field with generic info such as "ACH Withdrawal" and puts the more specific, helpful info into the Memo field.  :-(
>
> I found that doing a global change in the .ofx import file CHANGING, for example:
>           "<NAME>ACH Withdrawal<MEMO>"
> TO:    "<XXX>dummy<NAME>ACHW:  "
> moved the useful information into the Description field (pre-pended with "ACHW:  ").
>
> Making 2-3 similar global changes on each month's .ofx file is not prohibitively time consuming, but if there were an easier way, I'd be happy to hear it.

Eliot,

It seems not. The following comment may or may not explain:
    /* Disable matching by memo, until bayesian filtering is implemented.
     * It's currently unlikely to help, and has adverse effects,
     * causing false positives, since very often the type of the
     * transaction is stored there.

Unfortunately the author of that comment didn’t explain what he meant by bayesian filtering anywhere.

Regards,
John Ralls