Issue downloading transactions from Chase

David Reiser dbreiser at icloud.com
Wed Dec 2 23:43:54 EST 2015

> On Nov 30, 2015, at 12:54 AM, David Bergum <dib at red-sky.us> wrote:
>

>> On Nov 30, 2015, at 15:40, Steve <butterandsalt at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Just an update...just talked to someone in Chase online support, and
>> apparently the issue has *not* yet been resolved, he anticipates it will be
>> "several more business days".  When it is resolved, we "should" be receiving
>> a message in our secure inbox on the Chase site.
>>
>> fyi and for whatever the heck it's worth…
>
> Just as a data point, I use Gnucash for a business and iBank for a personal account.  I don't download anything from Chase in Gnucash.  However, my Chase Sapphire card transactions are downloading fine in iBank with no additional authentication.  I did get the email and expect something.  Maybe it is because i'm on the left side of the International Date Line?
>

> David Bergum

Chase is being pretty bizarre on this one.

On Friday 11/20, I attempted to download transactions from a Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa account. OFX threw a 15500 error (related to authentication errors). However, transactions from a Freedom Visa card had no problems being accessed from the same credentials. On Saturday, I sent a secure message from inside the web account area to ask why a process that had been working for years was suddenly flakey. After 10 paragraphs of blithering in the answer, they said:

"Further, regarding the Direct Connect, I would like to
inform that protecting your account is a top priority to
us. That's why we suspended access to chase.com for some
services. You can try again later. And you can always
access chase.com directly to view your account
information.”

WTF? “I can try again later" is a security strategy??? Anyway, by Monday morning, both accounts were accessible through Gnucash.

Later Monday, I got 2 copies of the email about ‘action required’ after they disabled DirectConnect access on Thanksgiving (one for each set of login credentials).

On Thanksgiving, I tried to access a second Freedom account from a second set of credentials, and got the “no transactions found” dialog from Gnucash, but the ofx log showed:

<OFX><SIGNONMSGSRSV1><SONRS><STATUS><CODE>15510<SEVERITY>ERROR
<MESSAGE>Please verify your identity within the next 7 days.
Using your desktop computer, go to your bankís website and
visit the Secure Message Center for instructions.</STATUS>
<DTSERVER>20151126zzzzzz.yyy[-5:EST]<LANGUAGE>ENG<FI><ORG>B1<FID>10898</FI></SONRS>
</SIGNONMSGSRSV1><CREDITCARDMSGSRSV1><CCSTMTTRNRS>
<TRNUID>20151126222222.000<STATUS><CODE>15500<SEVERITY>ERROR</STATUS>
<CLTCOOKIE>1</CCSTMTTRNRS></CREDITCARDMSGSRSV1></OFX>

I gave them until Friday before calling the online account support folks. It took about 20 minutes to get to the same explanation others have related here.

But I also sent a message via the “We’re Listening” link in the online account area complaining that it was a complete failure on Chase’s part to turn on a seemingly completely untested security change on the first day of an extended holiday. After an extra round of “we need more information before we can help…”, part of their response included:

"In the meantime, we'll need
to have you contact our Consumer Online Tech Support team
so that they can manually generate your Activation Code
for you to enter on your side. Once this code is entered,
your identity is verified and you can begin using the
Direct Connect feature with your Personal Financial
Management software.”

I haven’t tried to take them up on the offer yet because I figure it’ll take a long time and at least 3 reps before someone will accept that a Chase employee actually said that. Then I’d need accurate instructions on how to enter the code (and where). I’d rather wait for written instructions on that.

Since then, the Sapphire and Freedom accounts on the first set of credentials are not blocked, but the Freedom card that had the problem still does.

Chase programmers (or the Chase subcontractor programmers) are incompetent, and the Chase project managers are worse.

6 days, and no sign of the promised secure message. Idiots.

Dave
--
Dave Reiser
dbreiser at icloud.com