write off customer credit

peregrinedesign dave at peregrinedesign.com
Sun Dec 13 07:46:39 EST 2015

I have spent hours reading previous threads related to this, but can not find
anything that helps.

I have a customer who overpaid and there is now an amount shown as a
'credit' in their customer report. I need to zero out their account by
writing off the amount. In other words, I will not be refunding or crediting
them, so I want that amount gone so I don't see it anymore as a negative
amount in the customer report or in the receivables report.

I am not an accountant so please, detailed, step-by-step would be so very
much appreciated. I have wasted so my time trying to figure this out.