Balancing Register After Import

Dorel Ciornei dorelciornei at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 17 13:54:22 EST 2015

I had the same experience when importing from Quicken:
- in some cases some transactions were imported twice, so even if the begining balance was identical, current balance was different. It was just a matter of finding those transactions and deleting the duplicate entries. After that the totals matched between quicken and GNU cash.
- in the case of the accounts that started with the wrong balance, I just had to adjust the Opening Balance.
All my credit cards, loans, etc have been balanced against the Equity:Opening Balances account.

Perhaps there are better ways to do it, but using an "Equity:Opening Balances" account was the most obvious solution to me.Cheers!
Dorel

    On Thursday, December 17, 2015 9:59 AM, Colin Law <clanlaw at gmail.com> wrote:

 On 17 December 2015 at 15:43, Joseph Hesse <joehesse at gmail.com> wrote:
> My quicken accounts go back to 1991. I imported my quicken accounts,
> starting with 1/1/2013 to gnucash using your instructions. No problem with
> the import.
>
> I have open the Quicken register and the gnucash register for my credit
> card. When I match the balance columns for the same date, I see different
> numbers, presumably because the accounts start at a different date.
>
> In order to have the balance column match in both Quicken and gnucash, I
> plan on putting a fake transaction in the credit card of 12/31/2012.  Is
> this the right approach? Does the balance column mean the same thing in
> Quicken and gnucash?

Yes, they do mean the same thing.  Put the balancing transaction in by
modifying (or adding) an Opening Balance at the beginning, I think it
should go against an Equity acct, but I am never quite sure on this.

Colin