Transactions involving different currencies

Miguel Guedes miguel.a.guedes at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 19:27:13 EST 2015

Thank you for the reply, John.

On 18/12/15 03:45, John Ralls wrote:
> We know this is confusing. The way you enter multiple currencies is
> different when you have trading accounts enabled from when you don't:
> With trading accounts you enter the amount in the split account's
> currency, without you enter the amount in the transaction's currency.
> The last will be the currency of the register in which you first
> created the transaction.
>
> Another complication is that when you're in split view you're
> responsible for inserting the right amount into each split. GnuCash
> won't adjust the split amounts, it will only create a balancing
> split.

This was the only way I found of making it work -- by editing the
trading split amounts manually.  I found it confusing because GnuCash
prompts for the exchange rate when tabbing out of the split of the
register account so the assumption I made was that it would
automatically populate the right amounts in the trading splits.
Shouldn't it do so?  Is there any reason it doesn't?

> To fix your transaction with the existing exchange rate, change the
> GBP amount to 72.00.
>
> To create two-currency transactions more easily, either stay in basic
> view and let the transfer dialog create the other split (not
> including the trading splits, which are created automatically later)
> or just use the transfer dialog for everything with
> Actions>Transfer.

Right -- the transfer funds actually works nicely as intended!  Thank you.