Withdrawing funds from a tax deferred account

Richard Dawson rcdawson at att.net
Tue Dec 22 00:26:55 EST 2015

This is an accounting question rather than a gnucash operating question.

I created a gnucash asset account to receive my contributions to a tax
deferred retirement savings plan.  Now that I am no longer working, I am
drawing funds out of that account, and I have to pay income taxes on
those funds.  I am trying to come up with a way that the amount
withdrawn shows up as income, so that I can readily assemble income
information for taxes.  The trouble is, it is already in an asset
account, having been originally transferred from my Income>salary
account to my asset>savings_plan account.