See what payments apply to which bills

Webmaster webmaster at earlsfurniture.biz
Tue Dec 22 09:43:44 EST 2015

I can't seem to find out which payment was used to pay a particular bill.

I can find and view the bill, but no payment information shows up.
I can see that it is paid when I search for it, but no payment number
(such as the check# I entered) shows in the list, nor a payment date.
I can view a report for that vendor to see a list of all bills and
payments, but there is nothing indicating which payment applies to which
bill. (this process is quite cumbersome as are many of the business
features. It takes entirely too many clicks to get to information that
should be readily available. I had to figure out first that I needed a
vendor overview in order to run a vendor report)
I can look at the AP and checking account registers and I see the bills
and payments but again, no indication which bill any particular payment
is for.
I even tried viewing lots, but that didn't help.

When I make payments, I'm entering a check number and choosing specific
bills to apply that payment to. Yet after payment is made, I find no way
to see that information anywhere. This is particularly an issue when I
receive account statements from vendors and I want to verify that
certain bills on it have been paid. Knowing which check was issued for
that particular bill, I can see if it cleared my bank and inform their
AR department of the discrepancy. Using the payment amount is not always
possible because we frequently bundle bills and pay them with a single
check, or pay from statements. Vendors who offer discounts also usually
report the original amount on their statements, yet my checks are for
the discounted amount, so that will never match. I guess this isn't a
big deal for people who write a handful of checks each month, but as
soon as you get to several dozen a week, not having easy access to this
info is an issue. I can't imagine how a company issuing hundreds or
thousands of checks a month manages to reconcile and verify everything.
Perhaps I'm just not looking in the right place. Any help would be
appreciated.

Or maybe this feature does not yet exist?

I do see that I can enter a memo, and as a test when I paid a bill, I
entered the invoice # there and now, when I look at the vendor report or
register, it shows up. One would think if you have to select a bill to
mark it as paid, GC would tag the payment with the bill number(s) for
reference automatically. It would also be helpful when searching for a
bill, that the listing contained additional columns for payment number
and payment date if the bill is paid. That would save the several steps
of having to run a vendor overview first and then a vendor report for a
particular vendor and then trying to match up payments.

If there is a better place to make a feature request, please advise.