Managing the database size

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Sun Dec 27 15:47:58 EST 2015

On 27 December 2015 at 00:39, aeneas <receiver at gowdygroup.net> wrote:
> GNUcash is something that is used constantly over a long period of time
> (i.e., ideally a lifetime or even more).  As such the amount of data
> contained in the database grows and eventually becomes a problem.  How long
> that takes depends on many things and will be different for just about
> everyone.  However, software like this requires some kind of archiving
> capability.  Insofar as it is desirable to also retain a large amount of
> historical data the archiving process requires the ability to perform some
> kind of operation that preserves data older than a specified date in a file,
> which I'm calling an archive, and flushes (i.e., removes) that same older
> data from the active file.
>
> I'm just now considering whether or not I want to invest the time and effort
> to adopt the use of GNUcash but couldn't find any information about how to
> archive in the available documentation.  Hopefully this is just a matter of
> my ignorance about the terminology that might be employed with this
> software.
>
> I'd appreciate any advice on how to figure out how to do archiving.

Does not closing the books do this?  I have never had to do this as I
think processor power and disk size is increasing faster than my books
are so after about 12 years of personal data it still only takes
around 20 seconds to load the data, which is rather less than it did
after the first year I think.  In the longer term when full database
support is added there will be no need to archive data at all
performance should not suffer significantly even with enormous amounts
of data.

Colin