It's true, my note to Santa

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Mon Dec 28 13:17:56 EST 2015

Sweet :)

I'm currently not aware of anyone actively working on a formal mobile gnucash app
unfortunately.

However it is something I am interested in and as one of the current developers I hope we will
eventually be able to provide such an app based on the same code as the desktop application
for maximum compatibility.

The current code won't allow this because it's not sufficiently portable. But I believe the current
development goals will lower this bar by a significant amount: the code is being rewritten in
C++ and boost, which are both very portable. That should become a good foundation to start
the android app from. In addition, there are plans to seriously improve the sql backend code
which would make it much more attractive to use gnucash together with a remote mysql
database and by multiple users at the same time.

Personally I'm always keeping a future android version in mind when important code decisions
have to be taken.

Having said all that, I agree with John that an android version based on the same code as the
desktop application will be highly unlikely for the next year or two.

Regards,

Geert