Scheduled Transactions: Variable Utility Bills

Dorel Ciornei dorelciornei at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 29 19:11:16 EST 2015

Perhaps other people have found better ways to do this, but for me it is enough to budget in long term, so I take the last 12 months, make an average and find out how much I pay each month for variable bills.That is what I put in the Scheduled Transactions.I used to do this every 3 months and adjust the Scheduled Transactions, then I figured that there is no point to micro manage and because I have build a bit of slack in the budget, I always had enough money accumulating during the lower bill months to pay through the months when the bill is higher.

    On Tuesday, December 29, 2015 1:33 PM, Liz <edodd at billiau.net> wrote:

 On Tue, 29 Dec 2015 11:54:54 -0700
Dan Paulat <dpaulat at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am trying to migrate from Quicken to GnuCash for projecting account
> balances.  So far, I am using scheduled transactions, and posting them
> several months early to get a forecast.  This works great for fixed
> bills such as car payments, cable bill, etc., but not so much for my
> electric bill, which can vary anywhere from $60-$400 seasonally.
> Quicken had the option to estimate a variable payment based on the
> time of year, and I believe used the previous year's bill of the same
> month to calculate approximately how much I will owe.  Are there any
> good ways of doing this in GnuCash?
>
> Thanks in advance!

If you set up 12 scheduled transactions (one for each month) or 4
transactions (one for each quarter) you can use different predictions
for each bill.
I don't know that Gnucash can make a prediction on last year's account + a fraction
but perhaps you should put some input into the budgeting thread.

Liz