Budgets - Hiding Accounts Not of Interest

Matt Graham matt_graham2001 at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 30 23:50:25 EST 2015

G’day Billy and Dale,

Still processing the massive wealth of comments provided by yourselves and others! Slow going – lots of considerations going in all directions.

Both of you mentioned that you want the ability to hide specific accounts within the budget view when you aren’t interested in budgeting for them. Are you aware of the current way to ‘hide’ accounts within Gnucash? I’d love to know if this achieves your purpose or if you believe further hiding is required.

How to:
>From the Account tree (main account view, not the budget view) when you right click and go ‘edit account’ the edit account window pops up. In this window is a checkbox “Hidden”. A Hidden account is typically still shown (I think this is the default), unless you go to “View” => “Filter by...”, then click on the “Other” Tab. If you unselect the “Show hidden accounts” box, then you wont see the hidden accounts.

Note that the showing/hiding of Accounts selected as “Hidden” is done separately for each display. In other words you can have hidden accounts shown in your main account tree, but not shown in your budget screen. Thus you will effectively only show accounts you are interested in within the budget whilst keeping everything for overall transaction viewing.

Another option is to set accounts not of interest to zero, then (in the same area) unselect “Show zero total accounts”. that way the zero value accounts not of interest wont be shown.

Would this solve what you were requesting in terms of only showing the budgeted accounts you are interested in?

Cheers,

Matt G