Budgets - Use of artificial "wrapper" budget accounts

Matt Graham matt_graham2001 at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 31 00:27:34 EST 2015

Hi Again Dale, I hope you wont get sick of me - your points/ideas strike at
the very heart of accounting & how budgeting should/will get done! I'll try
to ask questions one by one, rather than putting them all in. This is
because you have a lot of points here, and I think the emails would get too
long if I tried to question to understand it all at once.

Your first point is regarding allowing the creation of new types of accounts
for budgeting only. If I understand correctly, it sounds like you are
interested in simply wrapping up existing accounts under one tree - not
creating a virtual account that doesn't exist. But I'm confused as to why
you need changes to current Gnucash budgets to do this.
Taking your examples:
Two separate income accounts for user's salary and for spouse's salary (as
you should have if they are separate incomes). The way I understand this
kind of thing is with the following type of account structure:

Income:
    Salary:
        User Salary Account
        Spouse Salary Account
    Rental Income
        Rental Property 1 Income Account
        Rental Property 2 Income Account
    Shares Income

So your salary accounts are two separate sub-accounts of the account
"Salary" which is itself a sub-account of the core "Income" account. Hence
if you only wanted to budget for overall "Salary" from you both (rather than
budget your salaries separately) you would enter the appropriate amount in
the "Salary" account of the budget gui and not touch the sub accounts for
"user" and "spouse".

Similar story for Expenses. From the core expense account you could have a
'utilities' expenses account which groups the various accounts for water,
sewerage, electricity, gas etc etc. That way you could do transactions by
the sub accounts (water, sewerage, electricity etc etc), but budget by the
utilities account.

Is there a situation where this would not work? Or a situation where it is
not convenient to have this structure?

Note that you need to do one or the other - budget by the root account, or
budget by its children. E.g. you can't set $100 to "Water" sub account, then
put $400 in "utilities" account expecting them to group to be $500 total for
utilities. If an account has a budget value entered there, then the colour
changes from grey to black and all sub account values are ignored. This was
a purposeful design decision made long before I joined the project (although
it makes sense from a programmer perspective). Please advise if you think it
is bad from a user perspective!

Once we have cleared this up, I'll come back to all of your other stuff!
Keep up the great ideas/suggestions everyone!

cheers,

Matt