Can a lawyer's trust account be adequately managed from the same gnucash file as the rest of their accounting?

Macho Philipovich macho at resist.ca
Thu Dec 31 03:39:15 EST 2015

   Thanks Liz and John.

   On 2015-12-30 11:23 PM, Liz wrote:

     Your mail client doesn't identify itself in the headers, so I can't
     work out which operating system you are using.

   I'm using Ubuntu, with GNUcash 2.6.6 from the standard repositories.

1. Use separate files for separate accounts.
2. I can have all my separate files (4 of them) open at once on my
Debian install, and I have menu entries for them which make this easy.
As John Ralls hinted, this is not easy on a Mac.

   I'm able to open two files at once running separate instances from the
   command line, as John suggested, but I have the sense this isn't what
   you're referring to. Is there another way?

3. I can then balance certain accounts against each other and ensure
that the accountants don't cost me too much at the end of the financial
year. For example, money I loan to the main business when I purchase on
a credit card is entered in personal books with the credit card and in
the business account.

   Can you say anything more about how you do this mutual balancing? Does
   any existing tutorial address the process?
   Thanks again!
   —m