OFX interpretation query

A.J. Bonnema gbonnema at xs4all.nl
Thu Dec 31 06:11:05 EST 2015

On 12/31/2015 03:18 AM, David Reiser wrote:
>> On Dec 30, 2015, at 6:26 PM, A.J. Bonnema <gbonnema at xs4all.nl> wrote:

<snip>
>> Last september I had two identical transactions as far as date and amount are concerned with identical FITID, so I expected Gnucash to ignore one of the two transactions, but it did not!
>>
>> It turns out that Gnucash processes both transactions as different posts correctly and in future imports ignores both transactions correctly.
>>
>> How is that possible? Can anyone explain how this mechanism works in Gnucash?
>>
>> Kind regards, Guus Bonnema.
> Gnucash compares the FITID numbers of the current import batch against FITID numbers from prior batches. Once a transaction is accepted during the import process, GnuCash records internally (not viewable in the program interface) the FITID of each imported transaction.
>
> In your case, the conflicting FITID numbers were both in the same import batch, so comparison against existing FITIDs did not show any conflicts. Gnucash imported both transactions, and presumably you now have two transactions with identical FITID entries. Oops.
>
> You have found a hole in the importer that isn’t possible to reach with a OFX standards-compliant transaction list. One part of the specification states that a Financial Institution must ensure that all FITID’s are unique per account.
>
> Dave
> --
> Dave Reiser
> dbreiser at icloud.com

Thank you Dave. Ok, so that means that the way I create FITID is not valid.

What are the consequences of having two transactions with identical
FITID entries? Would I somewhere along the line get a problem with that?

Also, I have no data that can make the transaction unique. If there were
a time included in the csv, that would make it unique, however, there
isn't. Any ideas?

Kind regards, Guus.