Budgets - how does the community want to use them?

Wm... tcnw81 at tarrcity.demon.co.uk
Thu Dec 31 18:33:46 EST 2015

Wed, 30 Dec 2015 15:34:08 <BAY180-DS22B14101B458E1278BB1BE8FFD0 at phx.gbl>
Matt Graham <matt_graham2001 at hotmail.com> wrote...

>Thanks Mike!?
>?
>You are right – I missed your fundamental point regarding the difference between being constrained to a budget vs it being a general plan. I’m
>not 100% sure I have completely caught up, but hopefully am getting close (and hopefully you aren’t getting sick of me yet!).?
>?
>In addition to some people being constrained by their budget amounts (whilst some are not), there is also a separate (but similar) matter that
>some entities are constrained by their cash flow – i.e. that they need to wait for the income before they can make the expenses. On the wiki
>I’ve tried to summarise all of this by separating matters into “fundamentals” that could apply to any/all types of budgets people use, and
>“types of budgets” which look at the different ways people set up budgets to be useful. ?
>?
>Any chance you would be willing to check it out to confirm I have understood you correctly? http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Budgets?
>?
>The reason I think I’m not 100% understanding is your comment regarding 4 way matrix. Do you have a website or something I can read to
>understand where this comes into things? I am an electronic engineer by trade, so happy to get into some maths if needed!?

Matt, thing one

All of the required structures for reporting on existing transactions
*are* *already* *in* *your* *file*.

Think about that.

Further, GnuCash
*already* *has* *a* *duplicate* *structure* *for* *budgets*
In fact, it has multiples of, etc.

Think about that.

What you want is reports and pretty pictures.

GnuCash is *never* (I predict) going to tell you that you should not
kiss the person you love on New Year and buy them a flower, strange
drink with bubbles in it or similar.  That is *your* choice.

Happy New Year to people that think freely and account well :)

--
Wm...