Chapter 8 - investment accounts

Jamestk davidjamestk at hotmail.co.uk
Sun Feb 1 07:07:54 EST 2015

Thanks for the replies all.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the duplicate transaction is only visible in
the 'stock' account, in this case AMZN. If you switch to the brokerage
account it shows one transaction with the corresponding net credit of the
sale.

The reason for this anomaly is to record the capital gain/loss at the point
of disposal. Because this is double entry book keeping it requires an
additional entry to be recorded against the gain, this is done using the
stocks brokerage and account code (AMZN) hence it appears twice in the stock
register.

Perhaps use another category such as 'Cap gains offset' but this looks a
little untidy.

David

Feb 01, 2015; 5:27am  David Carlson-4 David Carlson-4
On 1/31/2015 7:34 PM, Wm wrote:

> Sun, 1 Feb 2015 00:24:04
> <[hidden email]>  David
> T. <[hidden email]>
>
>> Wm,
>> As noted in the thread, the "duplicate" entries in the register
>> result from multiple splits in the same account. This is an
>> unfortunate aspect of the interaction between the GnuCash interface
>> and the underlying (split-based) data structure. There is, however,
>> only *one* sales transaction represented.
>> David
>
> I don't get that artefact here using 2.6.5
>
> if your (both DavidC and DavidT) gnc is showing the same as the
> problem picture then I'm baffled.  Because it doesn't here looking at
> matching accounts with Buy, Buy, Buy and Buy, Sell, Sell.
>
> What do I need to do wrong to reproduce the cock-up everyone else is
> so proud of?

«  [hide part of quote]

First sleep it off then look at a correctly formed closing transaction
with a profit from the perspective of the security account.

David C