Chapter 8 - investment accounts

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sun Feb 1 12:54:00 EST 2015

> On Feb 1, 2015, at 8:23 AM, Jamestk <davidjamestk at hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
>
> David, no apology necessary, pinch of salt.
>
> Just to recap -
>
> - A manual calculation is needed to enter a profit or loss
>
> - This leads to two register entries, one for the selling of shares and the
> second to record gain/loss
>
> I thought one way around this would be for the gross purchase to appear as
> an expense with gross sale as income, would this work on a profit and loss
> report?
>
> Investment accounts do not seem to be selected in the default settings (P+F
> report), I tried manually clicking on brokerage accounts + sub accounts but
> again, nothing within range.
>
> Is it just the categories that appear in reports as opposed to accounts?
>
> Just a thought, although I don't want to waste forum members time on a
> fruitless exercise.

There *is* another way: Open the stock account and select Actions>View Lots... from the menu. Click "Scrub Account" on the bottom of the resulting dialog box. That will automatically create a separate capital gains transaction in the account. However, it has a few drawbacks:
- the capital gains account is hard-coded to "Orphan Gains -- XXX" where XXX is the transaction currency in (I think) the sale transaction.
- It only does FIFO which if there's  more than one purchase might result in a different basis and therefor a different gain than what your broker reports to the tax authorities.
- It can get confused if you buy some stock, sell part of it, then buy more and sell all or part; the lot-allocation code isn't quite general enough to handle all possible variations on this.

The P&L report reports income and expenses: The name I learned for it in Accounting 101 (yes, I did actually take a course with that name!) was "Income Statement". Investment accounts are Assets. In order for your realized capital gains to appear on that report they need to be transferred to an income account; that's what we've been talking about here.

GnuCash doesn't have "categories", only accounts, so no categories appear in reports. Adding categories is a frequent request from new users who haven't quite gotten their heads around double-entry accounting.

Regards,
John Ralls