Importing QIF files

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 1 14:14:08 EST 2015

On 2/1/2015 10:03 AM, Mark Wigmore wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to import a large QIF file generated by Moneydance 2004. I'm
> getting a lot of warnings and errors and the import fails, but there's no
> detail on which elements of the QIF file are causing them. These are the
> error types I think are causing it to fail:
>
> Investment action: Unrecognised action ''.
> Transaction amount: Unrecognised or inconsistent format.
>
> I've tried running GnuCash using --debug and --extra but there's no more
> detail in the tracefile. How can I see more detail on what's causing the
> errors please?
>
> Mark

I stopped using Moneydance before 2004, and I do not recall what may be
causing the first error other than a transaction that is missing a
certain piece of information in some investment transaction.  The second
error could be caused by a difference between the way Moneydance handles
security accounts and the way GnuCash handles security accounts.

A way to isolate import errors is to try importing very small chunks at
a time.  It may be necessary to to find ways to eliminate the errors by
revising the source file before exporting, post processing the QIF file
before importing it, a combination of both or perhaps just exporting
small chunks and manually editing the results after the import.  I
recall using a combination of all of those techniques, and I never did
import very old data.

I think that you will like GnuCash once you get past this hurdle.

David C