Importing QIF files

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Feb 3 09:45:05 EST 2015

Mark Wigmore <mawigmore at gmail.com> writes:

> On 3 February 2015 at 14:35, Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu> wrote:
>
>     You caused the second problem by removing the security entries from the
>     QIF.  Basically what you did is you tried to import a transaction for
>     e.g. RHAT but removed the definition of the security "RHAT" from the
>     file.
>
>     I.e., you kept your !Type:Invst but removed the definitions it depended on.
>
> I thought that was what you recommended I should do, split the file into
> smaller chunks to locate the error.

Well, yes, that's the right thing to do, but you need to make sure that
what you feed into the importer is still "correct".

There is state in the early portion of the file that the importer uses
later in the file, so you can't just split the file in two and try to
load the second half by itself.

You need to split the file in judicious places.