Importing QIF files

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Feb 3 09:59:22 EST 2015

Mark Wigmore <mawigmore at gmail.com> writes:

> On 3 February 2015 at 14:45, Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu> wrote:
>
>     Well, yes, that's the right thing to do, but you need to make sure that
>     what you feed into the importer is still "correct".
>
>     There is state in the early portion of the file that the importer uses
>     later in the file, so you can't just split the file in two and try to
>     load the second half by itself.
>
>     You need to split the file in judicious places.
>
> Sounds too much like hard work! ;-)
>
> I wondered about exporting the whole set again from BankTree to see if GnuCash
> could read that. Unfortunately it will only export one account at at time,
> which seems a bit odd in the light of your comments on interdependence between
> entries.

Not odd at all.

QIF doesn't *require* those preambles, but when they get used they are
required.  It's like programming a bit:  *IF* you use a variable then
you have to define/set that variable.  But if you don't use the variable
then it's not required.

When you have a single-account QIF file there are no "variables" that
get used, so it doesn't have to define them.

I'd still love to see the QIF file that breaks the importer; the
importer is fairly well tested and QIF really hasn't changed much.