Profit-centre accounting?

Jan Steinman Jan at EcoReality.org
Thu Feb 5 04:35:22 EST 2015

I want to set up top-level accounts that can have a mixture of expense and income accounts underneath. This is often called "profit-centre accounting." Apparently, GnuCash won't let me. (I thought I could if I made the top level a "cash" account.)

The business has a number of separate business units that have both expenses and income. I really don't want to keep them in separate files, as transactions flow between them.

QuickBooks couldn't do this, either, and I resorted to using "classes" in order to sorta run trial balances and P&Ls for the various profit centres, but it was a painful kludge, subject to error.

Any thoughts on how best to set this up in GC?

:::: Secrecy is the freedom tyrants dream of. -- Bill Moyers