Importing QIF files

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Feb 5 12:16:10 EST 2015

Hi,

Mark Wigmore <mawigmore at gmail.com> writes:

> On 4 February 2015 at 14:29, Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu> wrote:
>
>     I understand you're unwilling to do that, but honestly, it's not that
>     hard to do something like:
>
>     grep '^N$' file.qif
>

> I get 2369 matches! The first in investments is this on line 21301:
>
> !Type:Invst
> D01/01/1970
> T3612.25CX
> POpening Balance
> L[Start Balance]
> ^

Aha!!  The "CX" is wrong in the T line, and is probably what's causing
the issue here.  I guess my regex didn't look for non-numerics at the
end of the string, which would have brought this up.

Is CX supposed to be a currency?  Or a stock?  I'm not sure.  Either
way, this is why the number format cannot be parsed by the importer.

>     egrep '^T[^-0-9]' file.qif
>
> 101 matches, but they all have T followed by text, TBank, TInvst, etc. I'm
> afraid I'm not familiar enough with these searches to look further.

For these I'd have to see the context around these items to understand
what it is.  My guess is that it's within the Account List, specifying
the Account Type.  I don't see any invalid types here, so that's not an
issue.

Assuming you haven't completely given up yet, could you remind me the
actual QIF import error(s) you were getting?

> Mark
[snip]