ORPHAN vs. IMBALANCE

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 6 17:24:45 EST 2015

Jan,
I don't believe that you can choose the account to which they are mapped. My recollection from when I first started using GnuCash is that GnuCash will create top-level accounts automatically with the naming ORPHAN-XXX and IMBALANCE-XXX.

I did find from experimentation that I could *move* these top level accounts to a different hierarchy (e.g., Special Accounts:IMBALANCE-USD), and the software would find the accounts in their new spot. I don't know whether this restructuring would cause problems in multi-currency situations, however.

I also do not know whether the balancing code uses the account name or its (hidden) ID to locate the account, so I do not know whether renaming the account would result in a new IMBALANCE account getting created repeatedly. I seem to recall that it does get duplicated--suggesting that the code uses the account name specifically.

David