ORPHAN vs. IMBALANCE

Adam Funk a24061 at ducksburg.com
Mon Feb 9 11:05:01 EST 2015

On 2015-02-09, John Ralls wrote:

> On Feb 9, 2015, at 6:46 AM, Adam Funk <a24061 at ducksburg.com> wrote:

>> I'd prefer to have an option that will (for manually entered
>> transactions) never create those unwanted accounts but instead will
>> just not allow me to complete/save an unbalanced transaction.
>>

> Not happening. Too much of GnuCash depends upon the assumption that
>  all transactions are balanced. We'll entertain a patch to add an
>  unbalanced transaction warning dialog with the choices "Edit
>  Transaction" and "Balance it For Me", with a checkbox for "Always
>  balance it for me" to turn it off and restore the current
>  behavior. I don't think that any of the regular developers has time
>  to implement this anytime soon.

I totally agree that it shouldn't allow unbalanced transactions.  The
problem (for me) is that I occasionally fat-finger the enter key by
accident before I've finished editing the splits in a transaction ---
at that point, GnuCash has already poohed the unwanted account into my
accounts tree without asking.  (I'd love to help with a patch, but I'm
not competent in the languages GnuCash is written in.)