ORPHAN vs. IMBALANCE

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Mon Feb 9 18:10:23 EST 2015

You can create a new account on the fly while entering a split: you type
what you want (using colon-completion as needed) & GnuCash brings up a
dialog asking if you want to create Expenses:House:Whatever; if you
click "yes", it brings up the standard account creation dialog,
pre-loaded with sensible defaults. This feature is IMHO absolutely
brilliant. I don't use it often, but it saves me a lot of hassle when I

Ah yes, I knew that. But "on the fly" is not how I am comfortable
changing the chart of accounts. On the fly I might know the name I would
probably give the (new) account but not necessarily where in the tree,
and proper/logical tree redesign might involve creating a new parent
account (placeholder) under which some existing account and this new
account now go as children  The point is, at least in MY case, I want to
sit back and think how I should be changing the chart of accounts
whenever a change is needed. Not a "quick, on the fly" decision.

Michael