How does this Mailing List Work?

Edward Doolittle edward.doolittle at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 18:01:12 EST 2015

Try modifying the payee/description slightly for different categories of
purchases, e.g.

Dollar General Candy
Dollar General Housewares
Dollar General Fashion

If you routinely purchase multiple categories of items at Dollar General
you have at least three options:

1) Create additional templates like
Dollar General Candy Housewares
Dollar General Candy Fashion
Dollar General Fashion Housewares
Dollar General Candy Fashion Housewares

Of course the number of combinations grows exponentially with the number of
categories.

2) Group items at the cash register and ask the cashier for two or more
transactions/receipts.

3) (Probably best) Create a template transaction with blank or zero amounts
in most of your common expense categories. Then the next time you use
Dollar General in the description, your template will pop up with blanks in
most of the expense categories. You can add amounts where appropriate and
leave other categories blank, and then the next time you type Dollar
General you'll be in a similar situation. Just don't remove splits from the
transaction, just zero or blank the amount; that will save the categories
for next time.