Automatically reconcile interest charges

Edward Doolittle edward.doolittle at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 00:58:15 EST 2015

Since the information about the interest came from the bank rather than
from the user, it makes sense to mark it as cleared (but not as reconciled
until the reconciliation process is complete).

That said, I personally have never had any trouble finding the interest
transaction during the reconciliation process. Interest is typically
charged at the end of the statement period so it will show up near the end
of the clearing items during the reconciliation process. I just look for
interest charges last, after I've cleared everything else.

I sometimes think that I should be trying harder to verify the bank's
calculation of interest. In some cases it's easy but in other cases not so
much. I usually just ballpark it in my head and hit enter when my mental
calculation inevitably agrees (within a healthy margin of error) with the
bank's calculation.