Automatically reconcile interest charges

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 04:14:07 EST 2015

On 11 February 2015 at 22:49, David Carlson <david.carlson.417 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2/11/2015 3:59 PM, Colin Law wrote:
>> On 11 February 2015 at 21:41, Edward Doolittle
>> <edward.doolittle at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> In the meantime you might want to use the account register instead of the
>>> dialog box to enter interest charges. In the account register you can mark
>>> the interest charge as cleared when you enter the transaction.
>> But make sure you don't do this until after starting the reconcile or
>> the opening balance won't be right.  In fact I don't know whether the
>> reconcile window would be confused by a transaction being entered and
>> cleared behind its back, so to speak.  One would have to try it.
>>

> Clearing a transaction does not affect the opening balance of the
> reconciliation window.

Yes, you are correct, I misinterpreted what was intended.  In fact,
having tried it, I see that one must post and manually clear the
transaction before starting the reconcile.  If one starts the
reconcile  then adds the interest charge manually in the register and
clears it there then it does not show up as cleared in the reconcile
window, so what would happen when one completes the reconcile I do not
know.  That is in 2.6.3 on Ubuntu so it may have changed since then.

Colin