Quote & Invoice Amounts show as earnings

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Sat Feb 14 10:25:00 EST 2015

On Saturday 14 February 2015 10:04:59 Richard Barmann wrote:
> When I do a Quote in Gnucash I have to  choose an item in the drop
> down "Income Account". Then it is in my total income even though it
> is just a quote. Is there a way to have "quote" in that drop down so
> I do not get the amount shown as income.
>
> Thank you.

Hi Richard,

This seems related to your question from last Tuesday about getting wrong totals at the end of
the year. I didn't get to answering that one earlier.

When you use the invoice form to create a quote you are in fact creating an invoice. That is
because gnucash doesn't do quotes.

So if you then generate an invoice afterwards for what you thought was only a quote you really
have created two invoices (one which you called a quote and one which you called an invoice).

That is why you see the wrong totals at the end of the year.

One way to correct this is to unpost the "quote" invoices. That will remove their income from
the year end total again.

If you really want to use gnucash for quoting, you may approximate by considering an
unposted invoice as quote. Once you want to invoice the customer, correct the quote as
needed and post it as the invoice you want. Or in other words you reuse the quote as the final
invoice. The drawback is that in the end the quotes are gone from your system, you only keep
the invoices. That's the best I can imagine however.

Regards,

Geert