Mac OS/X, Gnucash 2.6.5 get quotes very slow

Steve Drach drach at itsit.org
Sat Feb 14 12:19:26 EST 2015

iMac 5K with i7 4GHz
OS/X 10.10.2
Gnucash 2.6.5

Get quotes takes upwards of a minute.  The beach ball appears after about 3 seconds, the “Force Quit” window shows Gnucash not responding.  As I said, it resolves in about a minute.  gnc-fq-dump is instantaneous.  On my other Mac, get quotes for the same data is about 3 seconds.  On this Mac it is 20 times slower.

The Mac it “works” on is

iMac with i7 3.4GHz
OS/X 10.10.1
Gnucash 2.6.4

When I installed Finance::Quote I first installed from the dmg rather than the /Applications folder.  I then tried to remove stuff because it installed in local:lib whatever that is.  I reinstalled the correct way without any problems.

My questions are:

1. Anyone know what’s going on?
2. Suggestions on how to debug this?
3. How do I uninstall Finance::Quote?  I may try to install Gnucash 2.6.4 and I’d like a clean slate.