File Backup

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 03:44:57 EST 2015

On 16 February 2015 at 06:40, Jan Clizer <jaclizer at gmail.com> wrote:
> Please Help!  I'm drowning in GnuCash Icons!  Once I open my check register
> to post in it, the software saves my work every couple minutes, & creates a
> new icon on my desktop.....I do want to back up my work, but how can I stop
> this endless production of icons (I don't know which to delete and which is
> the copy I want to keep!

That is probably because you are saving you accounts file to the
desktop, which is not a good idea as Gnucash saves its backup and log
files to the same folder as the accounts file (so on the desktop in
this case).
I suggest first making a folder called, for example, finance under
your documents folder (how to do this depends on your operating system
so I leave that for you to work out or google for).  Then open your
accounts and click File > Save As and browse to the new folder and
make sure the file has a sensible name and save it.  Now Gnucash will
save your accounts file and the backup and log files to the new
folder.

Just make sure you do not accidentally open the one on the desktop, in
fact probably best to remove it.

Obviously make sure you have an up to date backup of the accounts file
before starting on any such operation.

Colin