Installing V4.6.5 over 4.1 AppData questions

Rose wdmn65 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 15:29:35 EST 2015

Re: There is no gnucash version 4.6.4 or 4.6.5, nor a gnucash version
4.1. At least none as released by the gnucash developers themselves.
OOPS....I really checked around for specific version numbers and I must
have royally screwed up on that. I see I think of the version without
the initial number.
I mean TWO 4.1 and TWO 6.5

Re: To my knowledge gnucash attempts to create such a folder by default
in your home directory as explained above.
Yes, again my error. the .gnucash IS the first folder in my User list
within Windows 8.1

Re: Your real data is stored in a file which usually has the extension
'.gnucash'
Yes the real data is in a specific folder on a specific drive for the
service club of  which I do the yearly accounts.

Re: If you remove your original user-created subfolder in AppData, you
will loose your metadata.
I do have Accounts and Checking register tabs open when the software starts.

I don't do as many 'save-as' reports etc as I did initially in 2013. I'm
comfortable with the software now and all has gone along smoothly. In
fact, it was an error free accountant audit at year end. I do have
computer double entry accounting background experience and did take a
paper bookkeeping course at school. This Gnucash is just as competent
for my purposes as that old DOS DacEasy and then the business versions
of Quicken.

The main reason for updating was that the filter choice could be saved.
I prefer that the current year in the chequing acct be the only view.
Also, I closed the books each year so each expense area can be viewed as
the current situation. Its a simple 'non-business' structure so previous
years not required.

Thank you for confirming that the environment file can be edited and
I'll continue with the contents as is.
Apologies for labelling the version incorrectly.

--
Rose
http://rwalbum.gogaxdns.com/index.html