Transfer window appears when it should not - further information

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Feb 17 13:17:30 EST 2015

Ken,

Ken Heard <kenslists at teksavvy.com> writes:

[snip]
> I checked and discovered that it had been set to THB.  Just now I
> changed it back the same currency as the locale: CAD.
>
> I then remembered that I had been experimenting with another book with
> the default currency in THB, but apparently all my books have to have
> the same default currency.
>
> In any event the same situation described in my second e-mail still
> obtains.  Even after changing the default currency to CAD and closing
> and reopening GnuCash, and then trying to change an amount in a
> transaction anchored to my CAD bank account in such a way as to force
> GnuCash to use an imbalance account, GnuCash still opens a line in the
> transaction for Imbalance-THB and then opens the transfer window.
>
> Even when I change it to Imbalance-CDN and enter the right
> "imbalanced" amount it will open Imbalance-THB once again and the
> transfer window.  If at this point I click "okay" in that window
> without making any entries in it, no amount will be entered in that
> account, but I was able to save the transaction as I had changed it.
>
> Regards, Ken Heard

The issue is that the transaction currency gets set when the transaction
is created.  This means that the transaction you are trying to
manipulate has the THB currency embedded in it, and will forever more.

Changing the currency of your Imbalance account wont help, because the
transaction itself is *still* in THB.

Your ONLY option is to delete the transaction completely and re-enter it
after you fix your locale default currency.