Using percentage of cost as expense?

Edward Doolittle edward.doolittle at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 19:45:39 EST 2015

And there's another issue: what if, at the end of some tax period, you
realize that the split shouldn't be 90/10? Say, you had to use the vehicle
for a lot of personal medical appointments over the past three months. If
you make the split at the end of an accounting period (quarterly or year
end or something else depending on your tax regulations) then you just have
to make the one adjustment (from 90/10 to 80/20, for example) to a single
large transaction which divides your auto expenses between business and
personal. If you have a hundred smaller expenses (each fill up, oil change,
etc.), you would have to adjust each of those, or create another
"correcting transaction" moving 1/9 of the expense from the business
accounts(s) to the personal account, which would be puzzling from an audit
perspective and would defeat your desire to split the expense when it is
incurred.