Invoice and type of account

Alice Lee alee212007 at satx.rr.com
Sat Feb 21 00:17:53 EST 2015

The indefinite contract itself will not show in your accounting records
unless you have a promissory note or cash to record when the contract is
made.  When you receive advances, they are recorded as a Liability titled
Unearned Revenue ???Contract and of course the debit is to a cash account.

If the contract was a definite amount and the payments were made to you
according to the progress of the job, you could record the contract amount
as a receivable and the full amount as unearned revenue.  Then the progress
payments would require a credit to the receivable for the amount paid, a
debit to unearned revenue as well as a debit to cash and a credit to an
income account.  In other words, the income account is not credited until
the income is earned