Multiple businesses ?

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Sun Feb 22 09:40:58 EST 2015

At Sun, 22 Feb 2015 09:08:19 -0500 stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com wrote:

> On 2/22/2015 7:26 AM, Russell wrote:
> > Can I run separate (multiple) businesses with GnuCash ?
> > -  or is GnuCash limited to one business ?
> >
> > I have two separate businesses that I run independently of each other
> >
> > Quickbooks PRO (2000 edition) ... Inuit? ... I could manage any number
> > of businesses
> >
> > Thank you
> > -  my first "post" with GnuCash :)
>
> The program can manage any number of books. Each of those of course
> would be a separate file and each could even be in a separate directory
> (file folder).
>
> If you are using gnucash for multiple sets of books, likely to be
> unpredictable which set being opened relative to which was last opened.
> So you will probably want to use the "nofile" option so gnucash will not
> assume that you want the last set of books you had open << when you use
> "nofile" gnucash comes up without opening any books and you then choose
> which one you ant to open >>

It is also possible (at least with Linux) to put the name of the file you want
on the command line.  I don't know if this is possible with either MacOSX or
MS-Windows, but with Linux it should be possible to hand-craft Desktop files
to open partitular data files (set of books).

I also don't know if it is possible to associate a GnuCash data file with
GnuCash, so that double clicking / right click=>Open With will fire up GnuCash
with that data file.

(I use Linux, but don't use a desktop manager -- instead I have a home-grown
session manager with a menu hack to open GnuCash with a specific GnuCash data
file.)

> Michael

Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933