Multiple businesses ?

Wm wm+gnc at tarrcity.demon.co.uk
Sun Feb 22 12:06:16 EST 2015

Sun, 22 Feb 2015 16:37:36 <8964346.rl4PGRhooT at legolas.kobaltwit.lan>
Geert Janssens <geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be>

>Normally you don't want your gnucash data files on your desktop

My earlier suggestion was a shortcut to in case it is important.  I
didn't think anyone that understood file systems actually put anything
real on their desktop long term.  OK I have seen other people do it, but
really?

> because that will also be the
>location where gnucash then stores it's backup and log files. The
>desktop would fill up with
>loads of files this way.

OK, someone must have done this for you to know just how silly it is.

>If you want shortcuts on the desktop there are several options.
>Creating softlinks (linux) or
>junctions (windows) *is not an option*.

I'd re-enforce the advice not to use junctions, they are a dreadful kind
of glue, the kind that falls apart when soap and water are applied.

>Gnucash will not see past these and will still store your
>log files and backups on the desktop. Instead this can be done:

>- On windows pinning a running gnucash instance on the task bar may be
>an option. I can't test
>this myself though.

Normally it is fine on Win to find your data file, right click and send
a shortcut to desktop.

The shortcut can then be placed on a menu, taskbar, desktop, etc.

--
Wm...