Have a problem and can't find the answer

Alex Aycinena alex.aycinena at gmail.com
Sun Feb 22 17:14:49 EST 2015

On Sun, Feb 22, 2015 at 1:40 PM, Naomi Lassen <nomibird at suddenlink.net>
wrote:

>   I closed our gnucash books one evening and in the morning on opening I
> found that the checking account showed all transactions from the beginning
> of our beginning gnucash (1/1/14)to 9/30/14 and then it jumps to 2/22/15.
> I can not figure out how to open the events from 9/30/14 on.  Do you have
> any ideas what I might have done and how to undo it?  We have loved this
> program until now.  This year we found a few things that have puzzled us
> and I can’t figure out.  Naomi Lassen  Lassen Construction  Gassville AR

Naomi,

Please go to www.gnucash.org and subscribe to the gnucash-user mailing
list, to which I have forwarded this reply. You will find many users, and
developers, who can answer your questions. This is better than sending a
question to one person who may not know the answer, may be out-of-town, or
may have your e-mail put into his/her spam folder and never see it to
respond. (Besides, it's sort considered to be mildly impolite to pester an
individual with a question when the list is there for that purpose.)

To your question: I'm not sure I understand exactly what happened because
of a lack of information. When you say 'closed our gnucash books', I assume
that you mean that you exited the gnucash application for the day and you
closed the application rather than the bookkeeping process of 'closing the
books'?

You have to provide more information to be sure, but one possible
explanation for what you are seeing is that rather than open you latest
gnucash file, that had transactions entered into it from 1/1/14 thru
2/21/15, on 2/22/15 (which is today) you inadvertently opened up a gnucash
backup file as of 9/30/14, that had transactions in it from 1/1/14 to
9/30/14, and, not realizing this, started entering new transactions into
it, thus creating an apparent gap. If so, you need to close the backup file
and open the 'real' file and re-enter the transactions that you entered
into the wrong file. Please see:

http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#GnuCash_Files_and_managing_a_GnuCash_installation

for background information on gnucash data , backup and log files, that may
help you understand this and determine if this is really what happened to
you.

If you don't think this is what happened to you, you need to provide more
information (to the user list, not to me personally).

Also, please look at the Frequently Asked Questions at:

http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ

which may provide you with other useful information, in general.

Alex