Recording dividends paid out

Ron Stone ronstone at ncf.ca
Mon Feb 23 07:48:59 EST 2015

Thanks John and Alice,

This proved remarkably easy to do, once I knew which buttons to push, and as a bonus, closing the books demystified some accounting concepts and terminology.

I noticed that the online help states that book closing is really unnecessary in GnuCash, and can confuse some reports. If I chose not to, I would have no pool of retained earnings against which to record dividends. In such a case, is there an alternative approach to drawing on equity to pay them out?

Ron