Budgeting and loans

Edward Doolittle edward.doolittle at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 10:33:30 EST 2015

This is what I do to budget loan expenses (interest):

1) I estimate the interest in advance using a spreadsheet

2) I enter the estimates into the Expenses:Interest:Loan account with the other leg in Liabilities:Loans:Loan

That has the side effect of pre-entering those charges so reports initially get more expense than income eg "profit" estimates for the year start out negative. But that's ok as long as you're aware. You can of course estimate income for the year too but I don't bother.

I like to enter the numbers by hand cuz I like data to pass through my fingers but if you're the less patient type you can export CVS from your spreadsheet and import into gc.

3) when I do my budget, I "estimate" Expenses:Liabilities:Loan using numbers from the current year rather than last year. That uses my current year predictions which are lower than last year's numbers.

4) You also need to budget for transfers to Expenses:Liabilities:Loan but in that case you can use last year's numbers or if necessary enter the numbers by hand -- but it's easy cuz they're all the same number.

Sent from my iPad