Where to find the .SCM files

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Tue Feb 24 14:32:00 EST 2015

> On Feb 24, 2015, at 11:10 AM, David <chrstdvd at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Just installed MINT 17.1 a few days ago.  How I find the directory where the
> .SCM files are?  I tried command -v welcome.SCM then *.SCM and get no
> response.
>
> Only can find is gnucash program in /home/bin

That’s a weird place for it, but if Mint installs in /home instead of /usr, GnuCash’s Scheme files will be in /home/share/gnucash/scm.

Most Unix file systems are case sensitive (OS X’s HFS+ is a notable exception), so welcome.SCM is not the same as welcome.scm; the latter is the name of the file. But Scheme files aren’t normally executable and anyway aren’t on the path, so `command -v` and `which` won’t find them, even if you do spell them right. Learn about `locate` and `find` instead.

For example, try
  find /home -name welcome.scm
or
  locate welcome.scm

The latter might want to build a database. Let it. It will take some time upfront, but once its built it will save you lots of time later.

Regards,
John Ralls