GnuCash: how to enter the purchase of a corporate bond with accrued interest

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Fri Feb 27 16:48:56 EST 2015

The mention of "capital gains" in connection with bonds makes me shudder.

You didn't say what tax jurisdictions you are under, but please get
professional advice. We here do not have the qualifications to advise on
matters like this. My understanding (though this does not apply to me
personally, not directly holding any bonds outside of tax deferred
accounts) is that in my jurisdiction, if you bought a bought a bond for
990 and later sold it for 1000 that $10 would be considered INTEREST
INCOME and not a capital gain. That is because the price of a bond may
be "discounted" if the coupon rate is less than the currently prevailing
rate (in other words, they are being sold to yield the prevailing rate
for their risk class and maturity). Zero coupon bonds (the interest they
are offering determined by the depth of the discount) are NOT a way to
get to declare interest income as capital gains. "T-bills" for example
are sold this way.

But like I said, I'm neither a professional nor an amateur who has
carefully read up on that bit of the tax code for my own purposes (since
doesn't apply to me).

A bond being sold carrying unpaid accrued interest is a whole other
complication and about that I know nothing. Get professional help. Or if
not, read the rules for yourself.

Michael D Novack, FLMI