Budget report question...

Steve butterandsalt at gmail.com
Thu Jan 1 14:47:38 EST 2015

Given the number of recent posts re budgeting, it got me thinking, is there a
better way of doing what I've been doing (that works but is rather a pain)
and what I want/need?  I'm always for easier...

I'm using Windows 8.1, GnuCash 2.6.5

1. The only expense categories I care about for budgeting, are (a) rent
(locations I use in various parts of the country); and (b) dining expense.

2. I use Gnucash's budget report to display a report, 6 weeks at a time,
that shows on a weekly basis, (a) the amount of my budget for each category;
(b) the amount I've currently spent for that week; and (c) the
balance--positive or negative--that is left for that week.

3. I also use Gnucash's budget report to display a bar graph of #2.

All the above is OK and "works" (other than manually having to change the
defined 6 week time period, from time to time).

What I really want, in addition to the above, is a projection of my cash
flow in my principal checking account, given the budgeted amounts.

Specifically:

1. I have one main checking account that 99% of the two expense categories
come out of.

2. So I've been entering in that checking account, on a weekly basis, six
weeks IN ADVANCE, a separate line debit for each week for my projected
budgeted amount for "rent"; and a separate line debit for each week for my
projected budgeted amount for "dining" (these numbers correspond to what
I've put in GnuCash's Budget report).  From time to time during the current
week, I adjust these forward looking projections.  That enables me to look
at my principal checking account, and see how the projected budgeted
expenses are going to impact my projected checking account balance, eg:

12/31/14  Current balance...                                      $1000.00
1/3/15      Weekly dining budget             -$100.00           900.00
1/3/15      Weekly rent budget                -$200.00           700.00
1/10/15    Weekly rent budget                -$300.00           400.00
1/10/15    Weekly dining budget              -$150.00           250.00

etc.

I'm not seeing anything in the budget report options, that allows me to see
what impact my budgeted amounts, have on a particular account for
forecasting future available cash flow.

Am I missing something?  Thanks...